Carole J. Buckner, Ethics Lawyer California
AboutCarole is an AV Peer Review Rated sole practitioner admitted to the California State Bar in 1984. She holds a BA from the University of California at Berkeley (1980) and a JD from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco (1984). She is available for consulting and legal advice in the field of legal ethics and issues involving professional responsibility, and the law of lawyering. Carole’s background combines real world law practice experience with an in-depth knowledge of ethics. From her experience as a partner in private law firms (Berger, Kahn et al., and Pettis, Tester, et al.), Carole appreciates how ethics issues arise in a private practice. With her background as a litigator handling business, real estate, and employment matters from the inception of her practice with Rutan & Tucker, Carole takes a practical, realistic approach to common ethics dilemmas arising in connection with litigation. Her experience working as in-house counsel at Amplicon, Inc. and California First National Bank Corp., a publicly traded company, provides her with insight into commonsense approaches to ethics issues faced by corporate counsel. As a former federal prosecutor, she is also intimately familiar with ethical issues encountered in the criminal arena.
- Dean, St. Francis School of Law
- President, Buckner Law Corp.
- Chair, LACBA Professional Responsibility Ethics Committee
- Co-Chair, OCBA Professionalism & Ethics Committee
- Former Chair, California State Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct
- Former Federal Prosecutor, Office of Inspector General, USPS
- Contributing Editor, Ethically Speaking column, OC Lawyer Magazine
- Peer Rating 5/5.0 AV®Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Carole J. Buckner provides legal advice regarding all areas of legal ethics and professional responsibility, including conflicts of interest, legal fees and billing, unauthorized practice of law, confidentiality, and lawyer advertising.
Legal Ethics Advice
Conflicts of Interest
Ethics and Social Media
Client Trust Accounting
Unauthorized Practice of Law
Law School Dean
Featured Posts by Carole J. BucknerVIEW ALL -
- 17/05/2014in In the NewsI am very honored to let everyone know that I have been appointed Dean of St. Francis School of Law....
- 07/11/2010in Malicious ProsecutionSeveral important ethical considerations converge when the attorney is preparing to file a civil lawsuit. Under California law (the Rules of Professional Conduct, and Business & Professions Code), an attorney has an ethical obligation to maintain only claims and defenses that are just, and also not to encourage actions based on passion or corru...
- 07/11/2010in Conflict of InterestOasis Realty v. Goldman, pending before the California Supreme Court, raises the question, how far does the duty of loyalty extend? Can a lawyer who formerly represented a developer later oppose the very project on which the lawyer worked? Attorney Goldman and his firm represented Oasis Realty in connection with the development of a property...