Carole J. Buckner, Ethics Lawyer California
AboutCarole is an AV Peer Review Rated sole practitioner admitted to the California State Bar in 1984. She holds a BA from the University of California at Berkeley (1980) and a JD from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco (1984). She is available for consulting and legal advice in the field of legal ethics and issues involving professional responsibility, and the law of lawyering. Carole’s background combines real world law practice experience with an in-depth knowledge of ethics. From her experience as a partner in private law firms (Berger, Kahn et al., and Pettis, Tester, et al.), Carole appreciates how ethics issues arise in a private practice. With her background as a litigator handling business, real estate, and employment matters from the inception of her practice with Rutan & Tucker, Carole takes a practical, realistic approach to common ethics dilemmas arising in connection with litigation. Her experience working as in-house counsel at Amplicon, Inc. and California First National Bank Corp., a publicly traded company, provides her with insight into commonsense approaches to ethics issues faced by corporate counsel. As a former federal prosecutor, she is also intimately familiar with ethical issues encountered in the criminal arena.
- Dean, St. Francis School of Law
- President, Buckner Law Corp.
- Former Chair, LACBA Professional Responsibility Ethics Committee
- Co-Chair, OCBA Professionalism & Ethics Committee
- Former Chair, California State Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct
- Former Federal Prosecutor, Office of Inspector General, USPS
- Contributing Editor, Ethically Speaking column, OC Lawyer Magazine
- Peer Rating 5/5.0 AV®Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Carole J. Buckner provides legal advice regarding all areas of legal ethics and professional responsibility, including conflicts of interest, legal fees and billing, unauthorized practice of law, confidentiality, and lawyer advertising.
Legal Ethics Advice
Conflicts of Interest
Ethics and Social Media
Client Trust Accounting
Unauthorized Practice of Law
Law School Dean
Latest Posts by Carole J. BucknerVIEW ALL -
- Carole J. Buckner will be a featured speaker at the California State Bar 2016 Annual Meeting in San Diego on Oct. 1. Her program is titled “CMFA PROTECTING AND COLLECTING LEGAL FEES”. It will be on Saturday, October 1 from 10:30 AM – Noon in the Marriott Marquee Pacific Ballroom 18. See more info here....
- 12/07/2016in In the News, Latest posts, Legal Ethics Publications, Los Angeles County Bar AssociationLos Angeles County Bar Association > News & Publications > LACBA Update > July 2016 > Ethics Article July 2016 By Carole J. Buckner If a client complains about your bill, and the dispute makes its way into mandatory fee arbitration, how is the arbitrator likely to view your billings? According to a recent Advisory...
- Sarah Jane Hughes has published an important new article on cloud computing and legal ethics, written from the perspective of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct. Because California’s ethics rules have not yet had the benefit of an update to take changes in technology into consideration, the ABA Model Rules, including comments to tho...